Makes 36 cookies
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 2 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 ¼ teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground star anise
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
Ingredients for decorations optional
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup colored sugar granules
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until smooth using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix until combined.
- Sift all the remaining dry ingredients in a separate large mixing bowl and mix well. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until a dough forms
- Remove dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap; place in refrigerator until firm, two to four hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow dough to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes, until pliable. Divide dough in half and place on floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until about 1/8 inch thick. While rolling, flour the work surface and rolling pin as needed.
- Cut out desired cookie shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to a greased cookie sheet, placing them 1 inch apart.
- Lightly brush cookies with milk and sprinkle with sugar granules as desired.
- Bake until firm and edges begin to darken, 10-14 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for a minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
You can find star anise in the ethnic aisle in your local grocery store. To get the best flavor from this spice, you will need to grind the whole star anise pod. For the neatest edges, dip your cookie cutters in flour before cutting out each cookie.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., and may not be reproduced without express permission.
Lay-a-way Your Vacation Today! Contact A Magic Planner For More Details!
New England is a region comprising six states in the northeastern United States: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.
The Mid-Atlantic, comprising of the states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware,
Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
The Southeast, comprising of the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee, plus Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The Southwest, comprising of the states of Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.
The Mid-West, comprising of the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin
The West, comprising of the states of Alaska, Colorado, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming